Friday, February 5, 2016

Friday Finish!


This week I was in the mood to practice my needle felting. I wanted to try something with pipe cleaners to see who it worked. So, I made a simple stick figure for a base. Then I decided I wanted to try craft stuffing as a base to save on my roving. It worked and it felted together to stay on the pipe cleaners, but it didn't pack in and stiffen like roving does.

Next I wanted to try using wool yarn. I had some old yarn that had no tag, so no idea if it is all wool, but it has a nice texture and color for animals, so I used a method I say online. I cut pieces of yarn and then brushed them with my cat's brush, yes my cat's brush, I cleaned it first;) It worked nicely, it turned the yarn into a puffy roving that felted up nicely and quickly since it is coarser.

So, I started felting over the stuffing and what was going to be a person, turned into a bunny, then what was a boy bunny laying down became a girl bunny standing up. I just work like you might with clay, I just add and think as I go and I never know how it will turn out till I am done. I made her some clothes with a felted sweater and a few bunny features and this is how she came out. I made white boots since I wanted her to be a skater, but not sure about the skate bottoms, and for now I have decided that I want her to hold a garland. It will have four hearts that spell out love, so I can make that with wool and jute and it will be done this week. This way if I want, I can always change the garland and have a christmas one for next  year and use her for two seasons.

She stands about 9" tall to the pom pom. I have learned that stuffing is not good to felt with unless it is wool, it is too soft so I couldn't shape and form her the way I wanted and the pipe cleaners get in the way and don't really bend that well, too soft.

I hope you like her, it was a fun experiment and I learned some new things.


We got a lot of the snow from the storm, so we stayed home and watched movies. At the end of the day the sun came out just in time for a beautiful sunset and Bill got the fun of cleaning off the driveway. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and sunny days.


15 comments:

Sherry said...

What a sweet little bunny! You did a great job! Looks like you got a lot of snow. We have not gotten that storm and I hope we don't. I am ready for Spring!

Sandi said...

Debbie she looks wonderful. As I was reading your description I thought paper clips for the blades...then I read she was 8" tall so no that is out the window, you could make some that have a big curl at the toe. Maybe some clothesline cord wrapped in foil? Can't wait to see what you come up with,

Kate said...

Your bunny turned out so cute, Debbie! You have a lot of fresh snow - enjoy it.

paulette said...

OMGosh, Debbie, I LOVE your bunny!! She is perfect! Just wonderful!
Oh my to the snow!! I would declare a snow week and not come out of the sewing room!!:o) Enjoy!
P

moosecraft said...

Wow! That pic of the snow and sunset is gorgeous!!!
Cute little bunny! Isn't it fun how certain projects just evolve as they get created?
Have a great weekend!

Charlotte said...


Your bunny is really cute. How creative of you!

Charlotte

acorn hollow said...

love your bunny! you got wayyyyy more snow than we did and I am so very happy about that! we got maybe an inch.
Cathy

Karen said...

Cute! I don't think my mind works in a way that I could create this.

Fiona said...

your rabbit is so fun.... gosh thats a lot of snow and it looks gorgeous.
Hugz

Saundra said...

Cute bunny and those pipe cleaners have been used a lot in my past critter and doll making. They have lots of uses.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Debbie that little bunny is just DARLING, well done! I love how she told you what she was as you went along. So fun. That sunset pic is just amazing, how glorious!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Sweet, fun little bunny.
I hope your snow melts quickly!
Hugs :)
Lauren

annie said...

cute bunny!
storms headed our way this week!

Dawn said...

So cute, filled with personality.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your bunny is positively adorable! I felt some, but haven't done much in a long, long, time....Truth be told, while I like the end projects, I don't care for the "process" as much as I do other fiber crafts... Maybe because it makes me think way too much...and I always end up sticking my fingers.