Friday, April 10, 2015

Rag Quilt: Change of Colors!


I needed to fill in more space on my quilt and I didn't have time to go to the store and I really didn't want to buy more fabric. I had already cut out some blue blocks and sewed some, so I added those to the center, in a random pattern. I also had faded denim already cut, as well as the backings, so I went with those and only had to cut more batting to put those together.

I got all of the rows, sewed together and laid them out on the bed, to make sure I had them in the right order. I still need to sew the rows together, but as you can see, it came in a bit on the sides and it will come in on the length, as well. So, I think I am going to have to go to the store to get some more dark denim. I really think that would make the nicest border, do you?

Another thing I learned while sewing these is that they bunch as you sew the two pieces together and I have been getting a lot of puckers at the end. I did find that putting the denim on the bottom, helps keep the puckers out, but I still got some. Having the rag pre-cut makes it hard to hold the fabric tightly as you sew, I really think I would have preferred to cut after. Now for the fun part, sewing the rows without catching the fringe, so I will have to take my time as I go along. So much for a fast project;)



6 comments:

Karen said...

Did you try sewing with a walking foot to help prevent puckering?

Dorothy said...

Your quilt is looking lovely. I like the blue you added to it.

kelley said...

I like the addition of the dark denim...hope you finish it with no problems!

Sandi said...

Looking great Debbie.

Soggibottom said...

Beware of quick and easy projects :-)
I do love this though. Anything worth doing is worth doing well :-) Looks like your making a fantastic job :-) x x x

Paula DiMattei said...

It looks fabulous. Thanks for your candid critique of the rag die. Who would have guessed it could be so troublesome. I'm an Accuquilt fan but maybe I won't be so quick to get that one. I think your perserverence is paying off, it really does look great