Friday, April 10, 2015

Rag Quilt: Change of Colors!


I needed to fill in more space on my quilt and I didn't have time to go to the store and I really didn't want to buy more fabric. I had already cut out some blue blocks and sewed some, so I added those to the center, in a random pattern. I also had faded denim already cut, as well as the backings, so I went with those and only had to cut more batting to put those together.

I got all of the rows, sewed together and laid them out on the bed, to make sure I had them in the right order. I still need to sew the rows together, but as you can see, it came in a bit on the sides and it will come in on the length, as well. So, I think I am going to have to go to the store to get some more dark denim. I really think that would make the nicest border, do you?

Another thing I learned while sewing these is that they bunch as you sew the two pieces together and I have been getting a lot of puckers at the end. I did find that putting the denim on the bottom, helps keep the puckers out, but I still got some. Having the rag pre-cut makes it hard to hold the fabric tightly as you sew, I really think I would have preferred to cut after. Now for the fun part, sewing the rows without catching the fringe, so I will have to take my time as I go along. So much for a fast project;)



7 comments:

Karen said...

Did you try sewing with a walking foot to help prevent puckering?

Dorothy said...

Your quilt is looking lovely. I like the blue you added to it.

kelley said...

I like the addition of the dark denim...hope you finish it with no problems!

Sandi said...

Looking great Debbie.

Raymond Homestead said...

Turned out great!

Soggibottom said...

Beware of quick and easy projects :-)
I do love this though. Anything worth doing is worth doing well :-) Looks like your making a fantastic job :-) x x x

Paula DiMattei said...

It looks fabulous. Thanks for your candid critique of the rag die. Who would have guessed it could be so troublesome. I'm an Accuquilt fan but maybe I won't be so quick to get that one. I think your perserverence is paying off, it really does look great