Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Scrap Stockings!


I decided to try something I had been thinking about, punch needle stockings, using scraps from my leftover box. I started late yesterday and finished them this afternoon, so they do work up quickly. I plan on making more and hanging them from a jute line, with mini clothes pins and using it as a garland.

This is a fun project to do if you have a lot of leftover floss pieces and a great way to use them up. I drew the stockings onto the backing, in reverse of the direction I want them to hang. It doesn't matter what size they are, I made mine long and skinny so I could fit two on the backing that I use on a mini rug frame. These I did with a crazy quilt pattern, using black for dividing lines. The next ones will be strips of colors. I will be antiquing them, so it doesn't matter if the colors are a bit bright.

Here is what I did so far. I will make the rest and hopefully by friday I will have a finished garland to show you. You are welcome to use the idea for yourself, use a hit and miss scrap look or add designs or letters to spell out words, have fun.




Today we had two hawks sitting in the nearby trees. We threw some pumpkins out in the back garden and I think they were waiting for some mice to come by for the pumpkins and a treat for the hawks;) I wish I could get a good shot, but when I get too close they fly away and it is hard to keep a zoom steady, when you are moving in the yard.




7 comments:

Vicki W said...

Love the stockings! It's going to be a really cool garland.

Kate said...

These stockings are just the cutest! Great photo of the hawk.

Karen said...

What size are the stockings? They are a good idea.

Saundra said...

Stockings look like stained glass, cute. There are a couple red tail hawks who live in my development. They are beautiful and know they have to eat too but hate it when they pick up my bunnies.

Saundra

Anna said...

The garland is going to be spectacular! love the photo of one of the cleaners in the "food chain."

usagypsy said...

Those stockings are going to be darling!

moosecraft said...

Wow! Neat stockings and a great pic of that hawk!