Friday, December 5, 2014

Nativity Punch Needle!


I decided it was time I made something with my nativity design and I wanted to try something a little different. I enlarged the design and made it in the shape of a stable. I punched the main designs in a #3 height and the background in a #1 height. I also did Joseph's beard in a #4 height to make it more scrappy.

I really didn't get the 3D look that I was going for, but it is raised. I also did a horrible job on the punching, way too big so it took me all week and my hand is tired and numb, lol. I really like the idea though, so I think I will work on another and maybe make it more detailed, will have to think on it. The other problem is when I stuffed it, it puffed out, so that killed the background being in the background. I think another idea would be to make a wool stable shaped frame and put the piece behind that.

You can get my free designs from the previous post and make your own nativity. It works in all mediums and I did do a cross stitch, as well.

I would also use better colors, but I was digging out of my scrap box, really need to use those up.

The finished piece is about 8" high by 6 1/2" wide. I used a dark and lighter wool yarn for the roof and sides, by bunching it up as I sewed and laid it flat on the bottom.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I am down with the flu, so hoping I feel good enough to go shopping this weekend or no one is getting any presents, lol.

I did antique this piece, but it came out lighter and too bold, compared to the actual piece. Also this week, I have taking off the word verification and hopefully the junk mail won't return.


17 comments:

Vicki W said...

So pretty!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

I always love Nativities! Yours is wonderful. Get well and enjoy some shopping!

annie said...

It's terrific!
Hope you feel better!

annie said...

It's terrific!
Hope you feel better!

annie said...

whoops, don't know why it posted 2x.

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Great looking nativity!

paulette said...

This is wonderful!! Hope you are on the mend!

Farmhouse prims said...

Hope you feel better soon, I love your nativity scene and have to say it has to be the most beautiful needle punch I have ever seen. hugs, Lecia

Jacque. said...

Wonderful piece!!

Kate said...

It's beautiful! Take care and get well soon.

HomeSpunPrims said...

I think it looks great Debbie! I hope you feel better. Love your Bean! He's a pretty boy. Hugs, Lori

Saundra said...

I think you did a darn good job on it and it is lovely. Hope you will show us the next one too.

Saundra

Dorothy said...

It looks wonderful. Can you explain what #1 #3 #4 Is it thickness of thread, wool or size. Can you tell I'm not a hooker?

Karen said...

You may not be happy with the punched Nativity piece but I like it very much.

Raymond Homestead said...

Nice piece! Hope you are feeling better!

Carol Swift said...

Such a beautiful piece! I hope you feel better soon!

Allie said...

Oh Debbie this is just lovely. I really love the shape, and the idea of using a stable-shaped frame - brilliant. I hope you feel better hon...