Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday Finish!


This week I worked on some more punch needle stockings so I would have six, in total. I did two in crazy quilt pattern, which look more like stained glass. Two were, hit and miss stripes and the last two I did in the traditional red and white stripe, ticking pattern.

I took a piece of jute and wound a piece of red  homespun around that and tied it to my curtain rod. I used mini wooden clothes pins that I stained with walnut. They seem a bit bare all by themselves so I added a piece of homespun in between them. I think I like the idea of making the ropes with homespun ties and some with bells and other items, then I can hang stockings or mittens from them. Lots of possibilities and it will be fun experimenting.



This is a closer look at the new ones, that I made this week. I aged them all with walnut ink, so they have a nice grungy look. I think the hit and miss stripes is my favorite. This is a great way to use up those scraps. The stockings are about 6 1/2" long and 1 1/2" wide.



I was going through old photos, trying to find some Christmas photos, when the kids were young and found this photo. I had forgotten all about these. I made them in the 80's and sold them to my friends. We lived in a townhouse complex, so I had lots of customers for my hand made items. I just wish I knew where I got the pattern from, I think a box of old magazines got thrown out by accident since i cannot find the ones with my wood nativities in them. Would love to make these again, so if you happen to stumble onto it, in one of your old magazines, would love to have the pattern again.

Not the best photo, I should have scanned it in at a higher resolution and maybe clean my scanner glass;)




19 comments:

Karen said...

The stockings turned out very nice. Making a string of them makes a delightful holiday decoration. Great for using up scraps of floss.

Lori said...

What a cute garland!

Jacque. said...

Looks great!

Anna said...

You are one clever gal! The red striped stocking is my favorite...reminds me of a pair I would wear, lol

Julie Fukuda said...

The hanging looks quite festive. I'll bet you could make patterns just by looking at those.

Kate said...

Your stocking garland is so cute. My husband made the same nativity as you have - he made ours from some cedar "scraps"; I think I kept a copy of the pattern and if/when I find it I'll let you know. This is the link to our creche (not a good photo mind you): http://bythebabblingbrooke.blogspot.ca/2012/12/some-christmas-favourites.html

acorn hollow said...

your stockings are so sweet hanging all in a row.
Merry Christmas
Cathy

Saundra said...

Those stockings are so dang cute and love how you displayed them as a garland. Also nice nativity.

Carol Swift said...

I love how you hung those adorable stockings...cute, cute, cute!

Raymond Homestead said...

Very cute garland!

moosecraft said...

Great idea for a garland! Love it!

Gayle said...

What a fun little project!

Terry said...

I love your little stockings...they're adorable! :0)

Rugs and Pugs said...

What sweet stockings!!!
Merry Christmas.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Fiona said...

I just love that row of stockigns on the line... so clever...
Hugz

WoolenSails said...

Testing

Debbie

Dawn said...

I love the stockings. Great idea. I will keep the pattern in mind, I have a magazine clean out planned after the first of the year.

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!!!