Friday, September 19, 2014

Friday Finishes!


I was able to spend time working on projects this week and it was a great stress reliever, as well.
The first piece I finished was my Christmas wall hanging. The pattern is called Hang The Stockings by JoAnn Mullaly. 

For mine, I added some star quilting, in some areas. I also stained it, then let it sun dry so it got more of a splotchy effect. As the sun pulls the moisture away from the fabric, it leaves the walnut stain behind, so it is not as controlled but gives it more of a true aged look. It is hard to get a true photo of the piece since some colors pop and others darken too much, it is more blended and yellowed in person.



I needed something else to keep my hands busy so I made up another punch needle star. This time I used the cat design from Renee Mullins and extended the scarf into the bottom of the star. I was trying to raise the loops on the scarf but it didn't work out the way I wanted, I would have to go higher on the loops, so I will have to try another piece and practice my sculpting.

I still need to clean it up and fix some spots, then I will do up all of the stars, into ornaments.



Another thing I did this week was to antique a wooden cat, that I found. I can't pass up a .99 cent deal and will a little sanding, some antique medium and a rusty bell, he is now a primitive kitty. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and hopefully I will feel good enough to get out and enjoy the good weather, we are  having.


18 comments:

sunny said...

Lots of good stuff! I love the kitty needle punch, love the stocking piece, and I actually have one of those wooden black cats!

Sandi said...

I love Joann's designs, and your interpretation is lovely.

I'm not a cat person but your hooked piece is lovely and the wooden cat redo is adorable...love the Jack o'Lanterns on it wheels.

denise said...

that cat is too cute!!

Kate said...

Love your projects especially the stockings!

Terry said...

I love your little stocking wall hanging, and those cats are cute too! :0)

moosecraft said...

All 3 of these projects are awesome! Love how you primmed up the kitty pull toy! Great idea!

Saundra said...

Definitely like the AFTER picture better! You get a gold star. Also like the cat in a star. Seems I've missed so much in the last 5 days I've been at camp.

Saundra

Fiona said...

lovely projects... all 3 of them... it's fun seeing Christmas things on the go...
Hugz

Anonymous said...

Cute! All are darn cute! Well done!

Melanie said...

Love this. Joann's pieces are great. Your quilting is wonderful.

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

All of your latest projects look great! Love them all. :)

Allie said...

That little stocking piece is so darling, and I love the needle punch kitty, and WELL DONE on the prim kitty - I prefer the after by far!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your punch needle star if fun!!!
You sure so get a lot done.
Hugs :)
Lauren

The Rusty Thimble said...

wonderful finishes
the stockings are adorable

Brenda

Julie Fukuda said...

You will be more ready than I when the Christmas season rolls around It alsoreminds me I had better get hopping.

Anna said...

I love your stocking wall hanging...and the hooked star I LOVE. You have a knack...I would have walked by those kitties in their original form, lol

Karen said...

Oh, I recognize the Hang the Stocking design. Nice!

Carole said...

What cute projects! Great find on those kitties! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!