Friday, October 5, 2012

Charity quilt top finished and Winner!


I guess a lot of you know me and with the blue strips, guessed it was a boat. I wanted to do something simple, since this is for babies and kids in the african orphanages and they will be washed a lot. I was going to machine stitch it, but my body gave out this week and it was easier to hand stitch in my chair. My stitching isn't the best, but it is sturdy;)

The finished size of the quilt is 44" x 55", to fit the size of the flannel backing. I was going to put that on today, but my brian wasn't working, so I cleaned house while I had the energy. If you would like to know more about the charity quilt drive, you can visit Rosemary Youngs blog for more information. They are easy to do and a good way to use stash and help others.

The camera makes the colors pop out, but I really like how they go together. I still have more of the fabric, so I will do a patch quilt with them. The boat design came from a book by Sara Sporer.


Here is a close up of the quilt, outside. You can see the fabrics and designs a bit better on this one. For the appliqué I used wash-n-gone. You sew it rights sides and turn it, so no needle turn, which makes it easier to sew quickly and easy to sew through. I messed up a bit on my points, but hopefully it will smooth out when I wash it.


 And now the winner of the giveaway.... Wendy of Ravenwood Whimzies! Congratulations Wendy, email me with your choice of an epattern or booklet from my ecrater store. And if you see this before midnight, I noticed that Wendy is having a giveaway too and it ends at midnight tonight!

14 comments:

Terry said...

What a sweet quilt! I love the sailboat! :0)

Anna said...

Congrats to the winner! I love the sailboat quilt!!! you are so great with colors.

Kris said...

Debbie - This quilt is darling and sooo you!! Some little child is going to be super excited to wrap himself/herself up in it!!

Linda said...

What a cool quilt!!!! Someone will be very fortunate to receive it!! You did s wonderful job!

The Joy of Needlework said...

Hi yaGirl Friend, Thanks for visiting my blog it means a lot to me.
Love your quilt very nice. I starte a rag quilt last year and could not find anymore faric like what I started with. So had to find anouther one tht would work.
Hugs, LenZie

Barbara said...

Of course it's a sailboat!

cucki said...

Congratulations to the winner xxx

Cheryl Lynch Quilts said...

Wonderful sailboat and a great uilt for a child to envision a future of hope.

Melody said...

This is a really lovely quilt.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

WOOT! So happy to win! I'll be emailing you soon! Love the quilt...it turned out beautiful! I've got to get back to quilting soon!

Karmen said...

I did some charity sewing today, but none of us had such a cute top. The blues are wonderful. Great job on the applicque! Karmen

annie said...

Just love the quilt, thank you for helping! Congrats Wendy!

Allie said...

Absolutely adorable, I love it Debbie!!! And I love your apples a couple of posts down!

Carole said...

What a cute quilt! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!