Friday, December 2, 2011

Birds and Braids!

I found this free pattern on Wee Folk Art and thought it would be a fun and fast project. I wanted to use it as a holder for my crushed pine, so instead of stuffing it, I used batting and sewing the crushed pine into the batting. That way I could blanket stitch the piece, without the pine, falling out.


I need rugs and the hooked rugs are getting destroyed by the animals, so I looked online for some new rugs. I did find some I liked, but then I thought, I can make braided rugs, why buy one, lol. Soooo, I got the one I started, and went back to work on it. I use my scrap, heavier wools on braided rugs, so the colors are dependent on what I have. I am trying to keep the blacks and darks mixed in, but pops of color always look nice on a braided rug. I was planning on using it in the living room, not sure yet, but it will be put to use somewhere. Braided rugs are great for obnoxious kitties. Moki loves the one by the back door, he rolls in it, rolls it up and snuggles in it. Now he is inspecting the new one and finding it to his liking;)


19 comments:

Pamela@ The Sampler Makers Farmhouse said...

wow, great job on the rug!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow - you are a mistress of ALL trades, aren't you? LOVE the braided rug!! Wish I could do that...I've seen it done and just know it would take ME forever!! Awesome! Wishing you a blessing-filled weekend! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Now that is one great looking braided rug. You are amazing with all the projects you make!

Barbara said...

I like both projects.

Angela Richardson said...

I love you little bird and think the braided rug is great, I wish I could make one but don't know where to start.

Tolentreasures said...

Wow, that is really nice! So perfect and even!
Cathy

Raymond Homestead said...

The rug is really great! Love the little cardinal!

Anna said...

ohhh love it! how do you crush your pine??? I have a lot of needles around here!

Vicki W said...

Thanks for the pattern link! I think that little Cardinal may find it's way onto some of my Christmas postcards....in cotton though.

moosecraft said...

That's an awesome rug! Moki has great taste! Love the little birdie pin cushion too! Great idea to mash the pine into the batting!

Anonymous said...

That rug looks AWESOME and Moki approved! Also...cute little cardinal piece too!!! Enjoy your weekend.

patijane's primitives said...

What a beautiful braided rug, Debbie! Great color choices. Like the red bird pinkeep. Have a great weekend!!!

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I love your braided rug. I have braided rugs all through the house. I can't put down my hooked rugs because Sophie like to claw them and pull up loops! I really want to learn to braid. My mother used to do it and I have one of her rugs too.

Soggibottom said...

Wow, Debbie look at him now.. :-) HE GLEAMS........... your rug is great by the way :-) Moki... lucky lad for finding your way to Debbie's :-) X X X

Ruth said...

Love the bird!

Joanne said...

Love the pic of MOki on the rug - he's a beautiful kitty - his coat is so shiny! The rug is great too!

Firecracker Kid said...

Oooh, I love braided rugs and love the colors of yours. A beauty!
Carol

annie said...

Love the redbird!
Love your rug!

Lorraine said...

Do you use braid-aids and lace it with a braidkin and cotton lacing cord?