Saturday, April 2, 2011

Finally a touch of Spring and a Freebie

I really needed to get out of the house and it finally got warm enough to go for a walk, a whole 53 degrees, lol.
We wanted to walk to the point to see the seals, but so did everyone else, so kept driving and decided to go to Pettaquamsscutt Rock. It is a historical site that originally belonged to the indians. It is a bit of a steep climb for someone who has had bronchitis all winter, but well worth it, once I got my lungs working again;) The views are spectacular, reaching out to the bay.



On the backside of the rock, it is old grounds and stone walls. You can just imagine what it must have been like when the indian had their camp there.



The front side of the rocks are used by rock climbers. The cliff is 50 feet high, so great for beginners. Though even that is way too high for me to climb straight up;)



Since the walk wasn't as long as we expected, we decided to go over to the URI bay campus. This is an extension of the main college for oceanographic studies. Their research vessel, the Endeavor, was at the dock.



Looking in the opposite direction, you can see the inner bay with the Jamestown bridge.



Past the boat area, the bay opens up to the ocean. You could see the rain bands coming down from the clouds.



And as stated, a freebie that I wanted to share with you. I was browsing and found an online copy of one of Yoko Saito's books. It is a large file, but well worth the wait. It has the most wonderful patterns for quilts, purses and seasonal wall hangings. You won't be disappointed.

15 comments:

Linda said...

Gorgeous photos! I guess everyone wanted to see the seals too, huh. Still not warm enough here yet for walks, well for me anyways. Soon I hope. Sarge is ready!

Dorothy said...

I love your outdoor photos. It looks a wonderful place to visit.

Donna said...

Beautiful photos, Debbie. Oh my gosh, I am so SICK of winter! Thanks for the sweet comments on Amanda's art show.

I can totally relate to the bronchitis statement. I came down with it in January and it took over a MONTH to get over it. And just as I started to feel better, I got the sore throat again (which is how it started the first time) and said, "Oh, no! Surely I built up a resistance to it." But nope. I came down with a second bout of bronchitis. And that one probably took up to 6 weeks to really start feeling good again. I'm glad you are feeling better now!... Donna

Allie said...

What a LOVELY walk! Although I'd probably fall off that rock - I can't even get on a chair without getting dizzy, lol. Glad you had a good time!

Thanks for the link - I didn't get it, I don't know have a .rar program anymore. Been a long time since I've seen one!

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful photos.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing these lovely photos. hugs

Deb said...

Beautiful pictures. We managed to get up into the 50's to and it is so nice to finally be able to spend some time outside.

Joanne said...

You are so lucky to have these areas to hike/walk/kayak, etc. Ohhhhhhhhhh how I long to live nearer the sea....

Lori said...

So pretty! What a beautiful day!

Unknown said...

Beautiful. You've just inspired me to get out of the house. It just finished snowing here . . . AGAIN!

Soggibottom said...

Not half as beautiful as your wonderfull views I'm sure. But I will click to check it out...
Good to know you are out and about Debbie. :-)xxx

Rugs and Pugs said...

Debbie ~
Great pics. We haven't seen 50 degrees in a long time :( Hopefully soon!
Hugs :)
Lauren

~Madalynne~ said...

What an awesome way to spend the day! We reached 50 degrees too . . . it's so nice to enjoy some fresh air!

LenZie - Punch Needle Artist said...

Debbie, you live in a very unique area, thank you for sharing your adventure. I love the ocean I grew up along the Pacific Ocean and I really miss it. When Dh was ready to retire we look at ocean property well for get that it was way out of our price range.
Thaks again. LenZie

BubzRugz said...

I loved these photo's - what stunning views....
Hugz