Monday, October 30, 2017

Weekend happenings!


This weekend was a mix of sun and rain, but we did get out one day and enjoy exploring a new area. We headed to Salmon River Forest, the main destination was the Comstock covered bridge in Connecticut. We took a back road down, so we enjoyed new views and old barns, but most were hard to stop and get photos of.

The Comstock bridge had to be rebuilt, but they kept the original bridge, just new lumber and trusses to keep it from falling again. It was a beautiful spot to get out and walk along the river.


The bridge is the route for the bike path, we will have to come back to ride, someday. We walked along the river on the main trail and came up some steep hills to enjoy this beautiful view. We walked a bit more, but it seemed the trail was heading away from the river, so we turned back. Now I wish I had remembered to print a map, there was a waterfall not too much further and I really wanted to see that, next time.

There is a bit of color but not what i was hoping for, maybe next weekend. It is still beautiful though and there was a hawk flying down the river, searching for dinner.


We saw a road on the other side of the river and decided to check it out. Along the road was an old mill, it was wonderful to explore, as I walked around the outside, but a bit creepy since it was so large and filled with places, critters might be living.


We continued on and came out to a parking lot, where you could park and start on the bike path. The old railroad bridge is part of the path, beautiful area surrounding by woods.


We got a late start and it was a longer drive, so we will definitely go back to the area and explore more. The towns above this area are historical and lots of parks with hikes. On Sunday it rained in the morning so we waited till it stopped and headed over the Jamestown and walked along the beach at Fort Getty. I wanted to get a few more rocks for painting and it is a great place for Bean to play. Unfortunately the rain came again, so we rode to the lighthouse and it stopped again, long enough to enjoy a walk around the lighthouse loop and hide a few rocks.

On the way home we passed through the village and the kids were trick or treating at the stores. I couldn't get photos as we were moving, but I did get a shot of this storefront, they always have a decorating contest at the local stores, this one was fun.


And online, I saw a beautiful rock that a neighbor found. It was an angel with the saying, " Your wings were ready, but my heart was not". I thought that was the perfect one for me to find and then she messaged me to see if I wanted it. It wasn't a message that had meaning to her, but for some reason she decided to take it and then thought of me, so I thought that was really nice. Now the angel is in my rock garden, in my beach room and she will stay there for now, someday I will see someone who needs that message and pass it along to them.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. We lost power at 11pm last night and it is still out. We are always one of the first to get it back since we live near a school, but it seems everyone else is getting theirs, but not us. We do have a generator, but it is a pain to have wires all over the house and I really need to wash some laundry, lol.


7 comments:

Sandi said...

Sorry your weekend got rained out. Some lovely shots though, I think our colour exceeds your here in the west coast,

How lovely that that gal shared the angel stone with you and what a lovely saying. Peace be with you both.

Kate said...

I enjoyed your travelogue - too bad the weather wasn't more cooperative. Hope your power is back on soon.

Fiona said...

I always love your weekend wanderings and you found some lovely places. I hope your power is back on but that you enjoyed the time of no washing!!

Hugz

Julie Fukuda said...

October weekends were a complete washout with rain and more rain and two of them delivered by typhoons. Not much fall color here as yet.

Barb said...

Wonderful pictures, your bridge takes me back in time....love them all!

Karen said...

I love covered bridges. You find the best places to sight see.

UplayOnline said...

How lovely that that gal shared the angel stone with you and what a lovely saying. Peace be with you both.


เย็ดสาว