Friday, July 28, 2017

Wool Dying!


This week I decided to start going through my thrift wools and do some dying. I have a lot of dyes still and I need to use them, so I started with some of the open ones and over dyed a few colors.

Here is the first batch. I was going to go with the pink and do a darker rose shade to mottle them, but I ended up with a muddy color and grabbed some tans to use it on. I like having a lot of variations in darker colors for backgrounds and animals, so they will work great for those. The pink is more of a peachy hue, but it will be nice for flowers or brighter folk art.


Today I tried some mixed textures along with a red plaid. All thrift wools, I have been collecting for years. It didn't come out exactly like I planned but still nice colors. The darkers are always good for buildings and backgrounds and the plaid is more a darker,  purple/red shade and I think it will make a nice halloween background.

Here is the before photo.


And how they look after, not too sure on the plaid, seems a bit scratchy so maybe not 100% wool, but still usable. I also like using wools like that for backgrounds on wool projects and also great for pillows.

I still have lots of go, so a bit at a time. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.



9 comments:

kelley said...

great job with the dyeing Deb...mine usually turn out different than planned too...wish I could get in the habit of dyeing a pot a day!

Sandi said...

Wow what a difference Debbie, did you keep any of the original colours or dye them all? That second batch came out very dark if your photo is true to the original.

I've only don one eye workshop with cottons, it was interesting but I don't have the space to do it here.

Have fun with your new creations.

Julie Fukuda said...

Dyeing is one thing I have little experience with ... other than tie-dying a white circle with yellow dye for a banner a few years ago. I sure do know who to go to for advice should I plan to try it again.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Great results! I don't measure too accurately so my results are not always what I planned on, but there have been a few "happy mistakes".
Happy weekend to you 😊
Lauren

Allie-oops Designs said...

That's something I've never done - looks fun!! They turned out so pretty!

Carole said...

Wow! Wonderful results! Cheers!

Fiona said...

Great results on your wool dying...

Hugz

Saundra said...

I especially love those mottled browns and what Lucille Festa calls 'dirty muddy'. They sure do a wonderful job on an antique background. good job!

acorn hollow said...

I wish I enjoyed dying more I just don't but I love your colors
Cathy