Saturday, April 25, 2015

A Gift From the Heart!


One of the things are crafters and artisans, is that we need to create. We need to create when we are happy, and we need to create when we go through sadness and grief.

I wanted to make something as a gift to my daughter from her father and I, a piece of our hearts to hold, until we meet again. I started thinking about it and each day melted into the next, until it was the day before the wake and I had not begun. Too much to do, too much chaos and pain and too many good meaning relatives who had not idea what to do and tired me out.

I had the saying stitched and decided to put it on a velvet heart. I had lots of ideas but no time to add lace or a border, but I finally decided that it was not what it looked like, but the love I put in. I sat in my sewing room that morning and worked on finishing it.

The saying was from our hearts, it was how we felt.
The little heart is a piece from her clothing as a child
The flower, is from the ones I used for her brother's wedding pillow.
The guardian angel is a gift I gave her on her first communion.
I made the saying into a pocket and inside is a photo of the three of us, at her baptism and a smooth white pebble from our beach walks.
On the back, I made hearts from the material that I used for her quilt, a birthday gift for her, our three hearts, forever.

The heart was placed in her arms, to hold, until we meet again.



The back of the pillow.



The night we got home, my house was a mess and we had company coming after the funeral, so Bill and I did what we could to the main living area. I had taken down Easter decorations and had some up, so just left what I had, but the tree looked sad without nothing on it. I found an old flower that I had from a wreath and remembered I had some in a box and this is what I did with them. The photo is a gift from her friends, they had it framed and I put it on the table. It is her final goodbye.


I also wanted to share the card we had made for her. I needed to do things myself, for my daughter, to let her know how much I love her and how much I miss her, so I did a design that they used on the card and the poem below is the saying on the back.

I feel like all of you have been my family and support through all of this and I still have things to do that I am not ready for, but I also have my faith and the love of others, to keep me strong.



Miss Me, But Let Me Go
When I come to the end of the road,
and the sun has set for me.
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little—but not too long,
and not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that was once shared.
Miss me, but let me go.

For this is a journey we all must take, and each must go alone.
It’s all a part of the master’s plan, a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart, go to the friends we know.
Bear your sorrow in good deeds. Miss me, but let me go.

Author Unknown

27 comments:

Patti said...

Oh Deborah! The pillow that you made is wonderful - the love and memories behind it so perfect - and your daughter has it to hold as evidence of all your love. The card is so beautiful as well and the poem so meaningful. I think of you and pray for you and your family often.

annie said...

It is such a beautiful thing you have done, still continuing to lift you up in prayer. hugs.

Glenda said...

The Pillow is so beautiful ! i love the objects you used to create it. You can tell much thought when into each item. Last year when my sister passed I did a basket to represent her love of gardening. Old clay pots, gloves, dried lavender, old seed packets and a small hand shovel. As I gather these items I was flooded with the memories of my sister and the joy she brought to our lives. Since you first posted about your daughter you have been in my thoughts and prayers. The past year has been a hard year in our family. I lost two sisters and a nephew the one thing I hold onto is my life was blessed by knowing them and I do believe I will see them again. I cannot imagine the pain of loosing a child, I will continue to pray for you.

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Your pillow is just beautiful with so much special memories! I pray you will have strength and comfort in the days to come! Hugs Carrie

Julie Fukuda said...

What a beautiful loving farewell gift. A close Scouting friend has lost his precious teenage son this week and it is so hard on us all that I can't imagine how it is for him. There see to be no words that are right to say and only prayers can be sent your way too.

Allie said...

Oh Debbie - the pillow is so lovely. What a beautiful thing to do. Hugs, hugs and more hugs, dear one.

sunny said...

Hugs and prayers.

Kate said...

Debbie, you are remarkable! Hugs ♥

Me and My Stitches said...

I can't imagine your pain. The little pillow is so perfect - so meaningful. Sending you continued hugs and prayers.

Barbara said...

It's all lovely, Debbie. Big hug for you.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Both the card and pillow brought me to tears. I cannot even begin to imagine your pain.
Hugs,
Lauren

moosecraft said...

Beautiful tributes to Danielle! Love the verse on the remembrance cards... peaceful picture too... hugs!

Saundra said...

Your velvet heart with poem are beautiful and made with love. Hard to imagine the pain you must be enduring.

Saundra

Sandi said...

Thank you for sharing these lovely memories and private thoughts with us. Take time to heal.

wendyytb said...

Your daughter will carry a piece of everyone that loves her, on her journey. I am so sorry for your loss.

Nancy in MT said...

Your little pillow turned out nice with such special memories.

Karen said...

The heart was a wonderful thing to make for your daughter. I am glad you did that.

Carole said...

Oh Debbie, it's beautiful! (((hugs))))

Carole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fiona said...

The heart and words are so special and full of meaning.... I do think the card you made is beautiful and they both show your great love and great grief....
Much love
F

Paula DiMattei said...

All so beautiful....you're in my thoughts and prayers142

The Eveningstitcher said...

So touching Deb. Thank you so much for sharing.....God bless you!

usagypsy said...

Your strength reminds me of my beautiful grandmother who lost three children in her lifetime. What a special tribute to your precious daughter. Thoughts and prayers with you.

Anna said...

such a loving and sorrowful creation to make...I think it is beautiful!! Hugs to you and Bill

CindyC said...

I just happened to find your blog today. I want to tell you that the heart you created for your daughter is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. It has brought me to tears. I can't imagine the srength it took to make it. You are a remarkable mother, and I'm thinking of you and sending my condolences to you on the loss of your precious daughter.

acorn hollow said...

That heart is just so precious. What a lovely card. I think of you often though out my day I am just so sad for you.
cathy

Lynn Barbadora said...

What a beautiful sign of LOVE to send Danielle home to HEAVEN with. May God bless you with strength to get you thru the days ahead until you see your daughter again. Hugs