Friday, May 30, 2014

Montana Majesty Mini Quilt!


This week I have been working on my flying geese quilt, hand sewing takes a lot longer but I am on the last two rows of quilting, then I can do the ties and bind it. I am trying something new with it, so once I finish, I can explain how I did it.

I wanted to make something quick and smaller and one quilt I have been wanting to make is Montana Majesty by Nancy of Tom Miner Quilts and Folk Art. I love the idea of doing strips with scraps but I don't have the time to make another large quilt, right now. So, I made a mini version.

I used wool for my appliqué and reduced it. Then I took strips that a friend gave me from one of her log cabin quilts. I kept sewing strips together until I got a size that fit the design and sewed them together. The border is also from my friend, so I got to use up some of my scrap stash. The quilt is 17" x 14".

I used #5 black pearl cotton to do the quilting and a prim stitch around the design and then in each strip and border. Next time you want to play with your scraps, try making a mini version of your favorite quilts. I also used wools from my thrift wool stash.


10 comments:

Karen said...

It made up nice in the small size and quick too.

annie said...

that's wonderful I love the colors of the different strips! great idea to downsize some favorites!

Farmhouse prims said...

Your quilt is lovely, I admire your talent so much! Lecia

The Eveningstitcher said...

What a nice little quilt, Deb! I love the colors and your stitching is beautiful!

moosecraft said...

This is awesome, Debbie! Love the scrappy background!

Anna said...

Adorable!!!!

Rebecca in AK said...

Very pretty and folksy! Love it!!

Saundra said...

A very pretty piece of work....and I do mean WORK. It takes a special breed to do all those tiny stitches and sew all those slender pieces of cotton together for a quilt. They are beautiful, it is obviously a lot of work and talent but I'm into more instant gratification like wide cut hooking. Have a great weekend.

Saundra

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a sweet little quilt!
Happy Sunday to you :)
Lauren

The Joy of Needlework said...

A very interesting quilted piece, the background is really neat and the sunflower really punches it up. Your work is amazing. I am jealous how you can get so many wonderful project done. I am still working on mine little project. Have a magical day.