Monday, September 30, 2013

Antique Mail Desk!


I have always wanted a wooden desk with drawer to keep mail in and also to decorate with. Every time I decorate the bureau, the kitties knock it all over, so I wanted something large and heavy. It is decorative and practical and exactly what I wanted and my wonderful friend Carol and her husband, made me one.

I started painting it and then things got hectic and when my nerves go hay wire, it makes it hard to sand and do wood work, but i finally got the last coat of paint on, then sanding and antiquing. I finished it off with a matte spray and I think it came out nicely, considering I got sloppy and rushed it;)

The first coat was a light gold, then black over that, then I sanded it down in areas to show the lighter paint. I used a brown antique stain which gives it a nice aged look. I still have to decorate this area.


Another thing I did was to clean my shoe rack, it does get dusty and half the shoes were on the floor. I have had these slippers since the 80's and I thought it was time to let them go, lol. I have no idea if they are collectible and one came apart at the feet which I could fix. The bear is Captain Joshua Bear, and Bill got me them, one Christmas. They are cute, but totally impractical, not something you can walk in too well.


14 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Your paint job ... and actually the whole thing ... came out just lovely. I hope it deters the cats as well. At least with Nikko, the only thing I have to defer is excess hair. (she understands the word, "OFF".

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I need to learn to do that style of finish. I just stained a quilt shelf black today and was going to sand it at the edges and distress it, but I know it isn't going to look as lovely as this does! Ah well! Back to the drawing board!

marie said...

You did a fabulous job, I love it.

Terry said...

I love your little mail desk! You did a great job on it! :0)

Jacque. said...

Love the mail desk...the slippers cracked me up!

moosecraft said...

Love the writer's desk! The slippers are cute! lol!

acorn hollow said...

I love the mail desk I think it is a great job. Those slippers are very sweet but I would be on my face all the time.
Cathy

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Love your little mail desk! Very nice finish! We have an old black bedroom set that may need some sprucing up. Maybe I'll give that a try sometime! I have wondered if brown stain over black paint would clive a similar look.

paulette said...

Lucky YOU!! Love the mail desk...you and your friends did a beautiful job!
P

Firecracker Kid said...

There it is! Nicely done Deb :) I'd really like to have one of those myself... lol. Cute little bear. Those slippers are a hoot. I received a pair of white baby seal slippers one Christmas. I couldn't bear to wear them and get them dirty.
Carol

Barbara said...

Nice job on the antique desk. I like those too.

Anonymous said...

Nice, well done! I like!

Carrie P. said...

Love your new header.
The mail desk is so pretty.
Cute vintage slippers. :0)

Karen said...

Just glancing at the picture, I thought you have found a vintage piece. How interesting that it is new. Looks old to me and oh so good.