Monday, April 8, 2013

Wool Quilt Progress!


I finished sewing up the blocks on my quilt and then I realized the last one, was sticking out too far, so I added a row of wool strips going down. I still have to cut and even it out, then I can see if I need to add anything to them, or leave them, as is. If I add anything it will be something simple, maybe more pennies. Which makes me think it would be fun to add strips to the other side with pennies, a suggestion by one of my followers. But at this point, I just want to finish it, I have so many more project to finish and start.

I am adding details now, just some stitchery in the leaves and flowers and then I will probably do some basic quilt stitching in some of the blocks, but I might do that, after I put on the back, so it will hold them together. I also need to add some words to my green blocks.

Using a plain cotton back to attach the wool blocks, made it a lot easier to lay it out and sew it down. I used a simple blanket stitch on all of the blocks, using a pearl cotton.

I tried a lamp and the flash, but it still came out dark on one end, so I lightened it up, which messes with the colors, but you can get the general idea.


Yesterday was a beautiful day, so we drove to the Watch Hill Lighthouse. The road to the lighthouse is very narrow and the storm wiped it out, so it is passable again and most of the damage is cleaned up.

During the storm, this area was covered by water, so the keepers were stranded at the tip.


13 comments:

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

It's awesome! Very beautiful! Your design??

Prairie Moon Primitives said...

Debbie it looks wonderful love all the wools you used.
Beautiful lighthouse!!!

moosecraft said...

That wool quilt is simply gorgeous! Love it!

Karen said...

Good progress on the wool quilt. It is so very folk art looking and the colors wonderful.
We visited a lighthouse on Easter Day but just looked from the ground. Two of us have knee replacements and climbing the stairs would have been torture.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Oh my! Your quilt is simply gorgeous! I love it!

Carrie P. said...

what a great looking quilt.

krislovesfabric said...

I love the mama and her babies!!

Anne said...

Love it. I think the heart block is my favorite! Good job!

Raymond Homestead said...

Looking good!

Deb said...

It is looking so lovely Debbie, can't wait to see what words you add to your green blocks. And those poor lighthouse keepers, I can't begin to imagine how terrifying it would have been to be out in the lighthouse during the storm!

Fannie said...

Beautiful quilt. I understand about photographing . . . you did a good job. Thanks for the pic of the lighthouse too. It's amazing to think of the lighthouse keepers stranded . . . thanks for sharing.

HomeSpunPrims said...

Debbie,
Your wool quilt is looking good! You've made a lot of progress. Thanks for showing us. Hugs, Lori

Nancy said...

Oh my... Watch Hill! We need to ride over that way too to take a look. They're working hard on the beach for when the plovers return. Your wool quilt is wonderful... my favorite medium to work in.