Saturday, October 29, 2011

Christmas snowmen!

I wanted to try some new things and I love the designs in my painting book by Renee' Mullins. The patterns are painted on wood, but I wanted to do one in stitchery and wool. I took the snowflake design and using freezer paper, cut out the snowflake from a 5 1/2" block of wool. Then I did the stitchery on muslin with batting. After I did the stitchery, I attached it to the wool snowflake with a blanket stitch and then added a wool back and did a blanket stitch and now it is a mug rug. It is fun to make designs you like into new things and to experiment. I like the idea of doing this with just a snowflake shape and then appliqueing it onto a quilt or a runner.


Another project I tried is one that I found online at Create and Decorate. This was a fun and easy project, but I think I would rather use wool, to make a stiffer backing. Since I had to turn them and cut a slit in the back, I went with a simple penny and stitched snowflake to cover the sewed hole. I think using wool and making the back into a penny with a simple stitched design is a nice way to have a  double sided ornament. And they are small enough to make as a gift to add in a christmas card.


20 comments:

The Eveningstitcher said...

Both of these ornaments are adorable! You are cranking these out...great work!

quiltsbycheri said...

like what you did....

Joanne said...

the little ornies are cute - so not ready for Xmas but i've been working on snowman today too! (well it is snowing!)

jackiero said...

Love your creativity! :)

Allie said...

How sweet! I love the snowman in a snowflake. The ornaments are darling!

TheCrankyCrow said...

You are so inventive and creative....Really like the little snowman ornie with the penny on the reverse....Bet it would make an awesome package tie-on as well....but I had the time and patience! Happy Sunday! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

moosecraft said...

Both of these are great! The snowman/snowflake is my favorite!

Jacqueline said...

Don't you just love it when your experiments turn out so cute..

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of thin ornaments in Christmas cards...especially wool ones!

Libby said...

Your penny ornaments are just darling. They would make great gift tags, too. I may just have to give making one a try!

Anonymous said...

love your stitcheries...great job! I too love Renee Mullins designs and never thought of doing stitcheries...might have to try it!
patti :)

Karen said...

Thanks for the link. I have never heard of this magazine before. I am printing out a couple of the patterns as we speak.

annie said...

I love the snowflake snowman! The smaller penny is so sweet too!

~Madalynne~ said...

Great projects! The penny ornie is so sweet and simple ~ love it.

Terry said...

I like your ornaments and I love that snowflake snowman! Those would be cute to do with a different stitchery on each flake and then make a quilt with them! :0)

Lynn Barbadora said...

Just love these Deb! Great idea!
Hugs,
Lynn

Anna said...

You are amazing Debbie!

Soggibottom said...

Your always so busy Debbie :-) x x x
The ornaments are different from the usual tree ones. They look really good. Ah, not ready for snowmen yet :-)
:-) x x x

Carrie P. said...

Very cute projects. I get that magazine. Lots of cute folk art stuff in them.

Carole said...

Cute! You are so talented! Thanks for sharing!