Friday, October 21, 2011

Bible Block

I wanted to make something creative and different, so I tried a block from one of Harriet Powers bible quilts. I kept some of the colors similar and added my own ideas to make it brighter, since this is the nativity scene and I will use it as a christmas piece. I want to add a saying to go with it, so I have to decide how I want to do it, then I plan on antiquing it heavily so it will look old and not so bright. Not the best photo, the flash makes it look like it is all standing out and really emphasizes my bad stitching, lol.


12 comments:

Jacque. said...

that's cool...never saw anything like that before! Busy, busy, busy!

Fiona said...

the stitching looks great!! love the block.. you always find such interesting projects...
Hugz

Allie said...

That is gorgeous....you'll have to fill me in on Harriet Powers! I really love this!

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I really like this quilt block. Very nice. It will look great with the antiquing too!

acorn hollow said...

just wonderful for sure.
cathy

Staci said...

Your block is just charming, it must have been fun to make.

My dear, I wish you would adjust your blog settings a bit so you could post larger photos! Your work is so lovely, and I always wish I could see it a bit better. I am sure I miss a lot of the details.

~Madalynne~ said...

I love the primitive look of that block ~ and once again, you chose the perfect fabrics.

TheCrankyCrow said...

What a sweet little quilt Debbie! So unusual and different!! It's going to be so charming for Christmas!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Karen said...

Absolutely wonderful! I am very interested in designs similar to those that Harriet Powers created but have not attempted drawing my own.

Soggibottom said...

Your block looks perfect to me :-)
Maybe we could both go to "how to use our camera" tutorials :-) Wonderful block :-) x x x

Jan PATEK said...

Looks great Debbie. Obviously Harriet's quilt is what I based my Bible Quilt on. I love taking antique quilts and doing them over through my eyes. Your eyes are pretty darn good. Great work.

Karmen said...

Good golly that is just lovely! Karmen