Friday, May 6, 2011

Egyptian Quilt!

I thought I would dig out an old quilt, I have been hanging onto for years. I had two, but gave one away, not realizing what they were. They were given to my Grandfather to give to his first grandchild, but I got them instead. I decided to take a look today and did find a similar quilt for sale and they are alike in the type and materials, so I guess that is what I have. They were made in the 1920's to commemorate the opening of the tombs.

Mine has a few torn spots, but I notice the auction items, have worn spots, as well.



Here is a close up, the stitching goes from primitive style to hidden stitches, but it could be because of wear and a washing, years ago.



Here you can see the applique mixed with stitchery.



And here is what it looks like on the back. Someone once said, they thought it might have been made by school girls in the 1800's as a school lesson. But I do not think the stitching would look like this and they would have signed it, I would assume.
I used to decorate with it, but have no use for it now, it is unique piece though. If I could get as much as the auction house is asking, I would sell it;)

15 comments:

Michelle said...

That is NEAT -- I'm so glad you did the research and figured out exactly what you've got!

www.welovequilting.com said...

I LOVE THAT.. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

Linda said...

What a treasure! It's gorgeous!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

That's a treasure there. My original background is anthropology - and egyptology was always one of my favs - so I have a soft spot for things like this. But, gotta have the right "scheme" for it to work, don't ya? Robin

Allie said...

That is just gorgeous Debbie, I wish you would display it! I'm an eclectic though. What an amazingly beautiful piece of history!

BubzRugz said...

Pretty special piece that..... quite amazing.... and obviously valuable too..
Hugz

moosecraft said...

These are pretty cool! It's days like these when you wish the Antiques Roadshow was coming to town and would make an offer... :-) Keep researching for a buyer... yours seem to be in better condition than the ones in the auction house pics...

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Very unique, and how lucky you are to have it. Nice treasure :)

Lori said...

What an interesting quilt!!

Karmen said...

What a treasure!

Unknown said...

Pretty cool quilt!

Wendy said...

You got a treasure for sure. I think yours is more unique with the added red colour. The hyroglifics are wonderful, you might want to find out what it says. I've been to Egypt last year and found it fascinating.

Barbara Brackman said...

I popped over to look at this patchwork piece and recognize it as made in Egypt in the early 20th century for the tourist trade. Here are some similar things
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7854360

http://www.quiltersmuse.com/Egyptian_Appliqued_Canvases.htm

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I think Barbara B. is right. I have seen these too and they are pretty much the same everywhere. I can see why this does not fit in your primitive decor. Totally the opposite in style. It is interesting and still worth something.

~Madalynne~ said...

Interesting that it ends up in the hands of someone who does needlework. I would keep it if I were you.