Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More Hexagons!

I started out my hexagons by doing a colored flower in the middle, surrounded by black.
Then I realized that it would be black touching black, so I had to change my thinking, which is not easy;)
Yesterday I made up some more colored pieces and tonight I added black, only where needed to fill in the other spaces.
I will add black to the empty spaces on the end, to even it out. Then I will figure out how I want to finish the edge.
I am sure there is an easier way to figure out what blocks go where, but I am piecing them like a puzzle, which works for me, lol.
I did not press the pieces yet, but I will do that, before I sew the rows together. I just hope I can finish it by next month, so I can use it for the fall holidays.

I found a really great site for making hexagons, by Linda Franz. I would love to do this method, quicker, easier and the lines are printed out, so my blocks might not be so whonky;) It does seem a bit high to me, but a great idea if you do a lot of hexagons and hand piecing.
She does have a free hexagon booklet with how to's and layouts, so worth signing up for.


15 comments:

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Wonderful Debbie, lots of stitching! Whew, it gets me dizzy with the planning on that. Better you than me!

paulette said...

Gorgeous hexies!! The black makes them pop!!
Paulette

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful!!!!

Joanne said...

Hey working it like a puzzle sounds like fun! They look great!

moosecraft said...

Looks GREAT, Debbie! I like the idea of the black between the flowers! You're inspiring me to get back to my hexagons. :-)

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh, Debbie ~
What great colors! Not being a quilter, it looks like SO MUCH work.
Hugs :)
Lauren

QuiltingFitzy said...

That Inklingo site has free templates for printing onto sheets of freezer paper tho, and that price fits my budget. I'm so slow tho, mine will be ready for NEXT Spring, lol.

I love the black you're doing, I used all Aunt Grace fabrics and an a white border.

Cat Haven Craft House said...

Love the black border - makes the pattern appear very prim!

arlyce said...

this looks beautiful.

Texan said...

Just so eye catching... very pretty!

Kim D. said...

Beautiful Debbie, I love the plaids with the black. It really makes those blocks stand out. Nice work!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Love the black around all the hex's. I have made a few little hexagon quilts using the english paper piecing method. Lots of handstitching but it does make them turn out pretty much perfect. Your quilt will be a beauty for fall!

Myglorystars said...

I love that!! I have never attempted to do this kind, alot of work!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Terry said...

I love your hexagons with black! It's such a nice change from the white everyone uses! :0)

Millie said...

Your hexies are beautiful, Debbie. My very first quilt was a hexie quilt.