Saturday, July 17, 2010

Rug and Stitcheries

I was asked for a closeup and I hope this helps. The wools I am using are a mix of coat weights and some lighter weights, so it doesn't have the solid bulk of a regular braided rug which would be done in coat weights. I would love to make on just in coat weight for my living room. The wools are denser and hold up a lot better to wear and tear. Using lighter weights tend to be too soft and you get crinkles, as you can see in the photo.

As to how I learned, I didn't. LOL
I looked at books and then I just wing it. I do use the new braid aids. I had an old pair and they were clunky and a pain, so I bought a new set and love how light they are and easy to use. My original ones I did by hand, I just folded the wool as I went, something you practice until you get the hang of it, but the braid aids are easier and easier on the hands. The outer edge is a golden brown, but the camera picked up more red, so it looks a lot brighter in the picture.




I also finished a piece that I made from an old grave stone design. I will put a border on it and maybe a date, will decide after I add a border. This piece will look a lot nicer when I antique it.

10 comments:

beth said...

your rug is coming along nicely. I wondered what Braid aids are. Maybe you could post a little picture for those of us who know nothing about braiding rugs. ;)

Lynn Barbadora said...

Gorgeous Deb!
Hugs,
Lynn

Rugs and Pugs said...

Deb ~
Your talents never cease to amaze me! The rug looks wonderful. How do you manage to accomplish so much? Don't sleep?
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

moosecraft said...

The braids look nice and even! Gorgeous colors! Stitchery is nice too!

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Your rug is so nice. My mom gave me the braid aids and I have never tried. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Deb said...

Your rug and stitchery looks great. I never knew anything about what the Braid Aids were used for. Now I know.

primitivebettys said...

You just do such a fabulous job at all you do! Wonderful! :)

Lorraine said...

How are you lacing it together and what are you using to do it?

Love your colors so far!

Rock River Stitches said...

Love the rug! I would like to know how to make one too! Where did you get all your wool from? I think I've seen those braid aids in some of the sewing catalogs that I get.

Tammy

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

You do such wonderful braided rugs and this one is spectacular!