Thursday, June 4, 2009

New Scrappy Quilt

I have a heavy spread on my bed and need something light and quick to put on it for now.
I started a few blocks with triangles, but I wasn't thrilled with it and it takes me forever to do triangles with all the cutting, so today I decided to start over and make something more simple.
I used my 15" square ruler as the template and laid pieces of fabric on it to fit the size. Then I sewed them together and used the ruler to cut down to 14 1/2". I am using most of the homespuns that my friend Kelley sent me. It is easy, quick and mistake proof;) When I finish, I will use floss ties to keep it prim and simple.

I did not use set sizes for any of the blocks, just cut a piece or used one I had. It is sort of a hit or miss, quilt.
The lighting is bad, so it looks more orange than it is.



Of course, the minute I laid the blocks on the bed, the kitties had to try it out. This is one reason why I wanted it simple and plain, it is cat proof;) I am also thinking I will go with the blocks until I reach the edges of the bed, and then use scrap strips on the outer edges.

11 comments:

moosecraft said...

Great scrappy quilt Debbie! The speed of your creativity amazes me! I think I could handle something like this as my first quilt project! Tho might take me longer.... much, much longer... LOL!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Looks great Debbie. Love the simpleness of it. Might have to try a lap size for myself some day!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Wonderful quilt Debbie and I see the cats like it as well. Cozy!!

Pat

primitivebettys said...

That is gonna be great Debbie! You always have such wonderful ideas... and extreme talent too!

Joanne said...

love the colors - nice and prim! wow you are fast!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Your always busy creating something wonderful! Wish I could accomplish as much as you do in a day. Your quilt is looking great and looks like the kitties approve!
:)Ginger

WoolenSails said...

Well at this rate, I am going to burn out, lol.
I am cleaning and cooking today, I need my own snacks since I have food allergies. Then I will work on patterns and a punch to go with them.

I need a vacation;)

Debbie

Cotton Eyed Jo said...

This is a great summer quilt, and it is amazing how much you have constructed already. Can't wait to see it in finished form. Tying seems to be the perfect way to connect it. But have you ever tried bar tacks where you would tie. My machine has a four step buttonhole.

Great explanation of the process too! Jo

WoolenSails said...

Jo,
My machine has so many things it can do, I have no idea, lol. I really need lessons. Wish I could find someone who sews on my machine and could sit with me and work on projects that fit my tastes. The store I bought from went out of business and the other one does fancy sewing.

Debbie

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

your cats are SO cute. it's nice you share your quilts with them! :)

Rock River Stitches said...

Love your scrap quilt! My kitties used to do the same thing when I was making quilts. Why is it they have to lay on what you are working on. LOL