Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Braided Hallway runner

I finally finished my braided rug last night and as you can see, my big baby loves it. He has been having a tough time walking on the wood floors, or in his case running after the cat, so I wanted to make a quick runner for the hallway. I used scrap wools and did a rag braid and tied off the pieces by slitting the ends and knotting them. It went pretty quick, but I am glad it is done. I love braiding, but not when I am in a hurry to get it done. Now I can take my time and work on hooked rugs for the house, going to need a few big ones.

Now I am working on a wall quilt for me and finishing a rug challenge. It is nice to make things for myself for once and it is time I decorate my own house;) The runner is 80" x 20". It took me about a week to make it. Now we still need to put in the wainscoting and trim.



6 comments:

JoJo said...

What a beautiful, furry baby! And he looks so comfortable on your new rug, which I love. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Lynette Anderson said...

I love the braided rug, its years since I have n=made one. Please tell me what width I should cut the fabric? and what type of fabric have you used in this one?

WoolenSails said...

Lynette,
I used wools that I get from thrift jackets. I wash the jackets when I get home and then cut them up. I then rewash and/or dye them to full them more. I cut the strips 1 1/2" wide and just folded them into a braid.
This has thick and thin wools, I wanted something quick and practical for now.

Thank you both for the compliment.

Debbie

Brenis said...

This turned out great Deb!! LOLOL My one attempt at a braided rug - just winged it and figured "oh this can't be that hard to figure out!" turned into a BOWL!! ROFL!!! I later found out about skipping stitches and adding in around the corners. Ha! Yours looks fantastic!! And with all your thrift finds and "bag days" how perfect for doing this on the cheap!! :D

WoolenSails said...

Bren, I still get some wobblys here and there, but it settles down after a while, the dog helps with that;)
I did try a rag rug with knots and that turned into a bowl, working with fabric is harder than wool.

Debbie

Jacque. said...

WAY COOL, Debbie! I didn't know you knew to do this! Great work! By the way, that size would work really well in my hallway. {grin}
Idle hands and all that...you sure don't let any grass grow under your feet! (did I just mix metaphors?)