Sunday, September 14, 2008

New punchneedle: Halloween Pumpkin

I am always trying new things or new ways to do my designs and after seeing Betty's (Primitive Betty's) little pumpkins, I just had to try one. I loved punching it, I used dmc floss in orange shades and 6 strands. It is a little over 3" high and 3" wide. That was the easy part, then I had to figure out how to put it together. I made a few failed attempts and finally came up with a way to sew up to the edge, by using a thinner piece of wool and hand sewing that on first. By doing that, I was able to machine stitch the back and make it a little fatter for stuffing. The bottom is flat so it stands up on it's own. Of course now I will want to try a few more with different shapes and faces.

I wanted to add leaves to the top, so will think on that.

I also worked on a locker hooked piece. Yes, another thing to add to my list of things I do;) But, it is a mess and not something I would do alot of, maybe when I am bored and have excess fabric, but I find it harder to do then rug hooking and I cannot get the motifs or designs I would like without driving myself nuts.


1 comment:

JoJo said...

Debbie, I love your punched pumpkin. So very cute. Betty had a lot of punched items had the open house Saturday where she was the featured artist. Lots and lots of hooked items too.

If you haven't been to her blog yet today, her father died during the night. His death was very quick and I know she's hurting badly.